Cheesy Beef Enchilada Pie
I had odds and ends in the fridge. It didn’t hurt that I’d been looking for something a bit different.
Beef and Cheese Enchilada Pie
A quick and easy deconstructed enchilada recipe.
- 8 x 8 Baking Dish
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 2/3 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup biscuit mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray 8×8 dish with nonstick spray. Spread the crushed tortilla chips and 1/2 cup of the cheese on the bottom of the pan. Set aside.
- Brown the beef and onions in a large skillet. Add the seasonings. Drain well.
- Put the drained beef mixture on top of the tortilla cheese mixture in the baking dish. Top with 1/4 cup of taco sauce and more cheese.
- Combine the baking mix, milk, and eggs and pour over the mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Top with remaining taco sauce and cheese and return to the oven for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
I used leftover salsa in lieu of the taco sauce. Since I also didn’t have the full requirement of tortilla chips, I added crushed croutons. Putting these on the bottom of the pan gave a crispy-ish crust. Wonderful and tasty!